|Ramparts Cemetery, Lille Gate|
|Information from the website of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission:|
From October 1914 to the summer of 1918, Ypres (now Ieper) formed the centre of a salient held by Commonwealth (and for a while French) forces. From April 1915, the town was bombarded and destroyed more completely than any other town of its size on the western front.
The cemetery is by the Lille Gate, on top of the old rampart, over what had been dug-outs. It was begun by French troops in November 1914 and used by Commonwealth units at intervals from February 1915 to April 1918.
The cemetery contains 198 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. The French graves have been removed.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.