The Military Field of Honour Grebbeberg is a
graveyard where more than 850 military personnel are buried. More than
400 of the interred here fell during the Battle of the Grebbeberg in may
Immediately after the surrender of the
Netherlands, a cemetery was laid out at the Grebbeberg for both Dutch
and German dead. On 20 may 1940, the cemetery was completed and all the
dead were buried. On 27 may all field graves were cleared from the
perimeter of the Grebbeberg and the remains were buried in the cemetery.
The cemetery then contained 380 Dutch graves and about 150 German
After the German surrender, all German graves
were moved to the Ysselsteyn German War
Cemetery. Until 1 january 1952 the cemetery was maintained by the
Ministery of Defense, which at that date, transferred it to the
Netherlands War Graves Foundation.
Since 1946, this cemetery serves as a national
memorial site. Here the military memorial ceremony is held on
Remembrance of the Dead on 4 may.