Update Search About Me Facebook Email

George Felix Conry-Candler    

Servicenumber : 1318332
Rank : Flight Sergeant
Regiment : Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit : 190 Squadron
Date of Death : 21-09-1944
Age : 20
Grave : Memorial north west of gate
George Felix Conry-Candler was a son of George Candler and of Teresa Mary Anastasia Candler (nee Conry), of Streatham, London.
According to the Roll of Honour published by the Society of Friends of the Airborne Museum (Jan Hey 2011) Conry-Candler was the co-pilot of Stirling LJ-833. The aircraft was based on Fairford Airfield. It was shot down by German fighters, and crashed in the river Maas near Ravenstein at about 13.00 hrs. Three men survived the crash and made it back to allied lines. Six men died and they were buried in cemeteries at Batenburg, Ravenstein, Groesbeek and Bergen op Zoom. The names of the crew members are: Alexander Anderson (Canadian War Cemetery Groesbeek), George Felix Conry-Candler (Batenburg Roman Catholic Cemetery), Alexander Dalgety Adamson (Ravenstein Roman Catholic Cemetery), Arthur George Oliver Bellamy (Ravenstein Roman Catholic Cemetery), William George Tolley (British War Cemetery Bergen op Zoom), Albert E. Abbott (Canadian War Cemetery Groesbeek), G.E. Orange (survived), A.J. Smith (survived) and L.E. Bloomfield (survived).
The author of the book "Green On!" (Arie-Jan van Hees) wrote about Stirling LJ-833. On page 210 he quotes Flight Sergeant Orange: "On Thursday we were told that after turning for Holland at I believe, a place called 's-Hertogenbosch, we would meet 150 American fighters on our starboard side that would 'shoot up' the very large number of flak batteries that we would encounter. These support fighters did not turn up, and a very large number of German fighters, Focke Wulf 190 and Messerschmitt 109, came from the same direction. The last words of our rear gunner were "There is our escort...Christ they're Jerries..."
At this point, 1455 hours, we were heavily attacked and I could see that we were being attacked by 3 Focke Wulf 190 (they were in fact ME-109's AJvH). Aftr the first attack we had lost the starboard inner engine completely. We were flying at 500 feet and were therefor unable to bale out and as the wing was on fire the pilot made a forced landing in the river Maas. 
The engineer and I and one of the air despatchers got clear of the machine and in a dinghy. The dispatcher was badly injured; I remember tying my tie around the head of this very badly injured British Army soldier. All our equipment was left in the aircraft which sank immediately. We swam ashore and were met by Dutch civilians. The despatcher was left in the care of the local doctor, and we were assured that he would be all right. We were given a boat and we rowed across the river. Shortly afterwards we made contact with forward patrols of the 2nd Army. We traveled by jeep to the main body of the 2nd Army and were sent to Brussels on 22nd September and flown to Croydon during the night of 22-23 September.
Picture: 20-10-2016
Sources: Website CWGC, 'The Royal Air Force at Arnhem', '"Green On!"', website www.marketgarden.com and Roll of Honour


The men Sources Home