Right after the start of the German
offensive at Verdun in March 1916 the Germans burried their casualties
at Azannes II. There were several 'lazarette' and 'hauptverbandsplätze'
(field dressing stations) located near the small French village
Azannes-et-Soumazannes. Between 7 and 27 april 1916 some 3500 wounded
German soldiers were treated there. The patients that died of their
wounds were the first ones buried in the cemetery. In november 1918, at
the end of the First World War, there were some 800 graves in the
Azannes II Cemetery. Later soldiers who died in other places and were
buried in small local cemeteries in places like Douaumont, Vaux and
Thiaumont, were reburied in the Azannes II Cemetery.
Today 4750 German soldiers are buried in
the Azannes II Cemetery.